Friday, March 13, 2015

18 More Days (Slice #13 - John Denver)

I did it.  I finished the horrible test, I passed, and I did not die in the process.  Whew!  That was a close one.  While I am thankful for all of my family and friends who sent good luck wishes and said thoughtful prayers, I really have one special person to credit with my success today – John Denver.

Why John Denver?   First, John Denver is, well, John Denver – one of the greatest American singer-songwriters of all time – and that alone is worthy of my recognition.  But more importantly, he sang to me this morning.  True story.


My hands trembled on the steering wheel as I maneuvered the morning rush-hour traffic in drizzling rain.  I had just finished my pleading conversation with God and was on to deep breathing exercising when I heard John’s soft, calming voice peacefully float from the speakers.  Surprisingly, he did not sing “Take Me Home, Country Roads,” “Annie’s Song,” “Rocky Mountain High,” or any of his other classics I expected and love.  As if speaking directly to me, he counseled:

“When I find myself in times of trouble
Mother Mary comes to me
Speaking words of wisdom, let it be
And in my hour of darkness
She is standing right in front of me
Speaking words of wisdom, let it be”

Somehow, this familiar song had new meaning.  It felt as though he was saying, “You’ve studied for this, Lori.  You’re ready.  Just put it in God’s hands and let go.”  So I did.  I took a few more deep breaths...forced my heart rate to calm.  I allowed myself to turn off my brain for a few moments and just enjoy listening to the soothing melody.  By the time I pulled into the testing center, I was ready and walked with confidence to the door.  

Hopefully in the future - in times of worry, stress, or struggle – I will hear his words of wisdom again and, although it may be difficult, remember to “Let it be.”


___________________________________________________________________

Ok Miss Collins, let's get serious:  Ellen earns $12.40 an hour for the first 8 hours that she works each day.  She earns time and a half for any time she works after 8 hours.  How much does she earn in a five-day week if she works an average of 9 hours a day?



2 comments:

  1. I'm glad you passed! Good job once again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay Mrs. Smith you passed! Good Job!

    ReplyDelete