Tuesday, March 3, 2015

28 More Days (Slice #3 - I am a Duck)

In the spirit of sharing my bizarre secrets on this blog, I suppose I should confess, “I am a duck.”  Well okay, I am not really a duck.  BUT…I did play one on TV once!

From ages two through four, I attended Wee Melodies – a music, dance, and theater preschool in Oklahoma City.  Despite the enormous span of time from then to now, I still enjoy vivid and fond memories of my experiences there.  Every day we sang and danced, and often performed in front of large audiences.  I thrived in the roles of baby dolls, angels, snowflakes, and more.  However, my starring moment occurred when I played “the Duck” on the local television show, HoHo the Clown.  I can still even recall my song…

I am a duck.  I am a duck.  I am glad to see you.
I am a duck.  I am a duck.  I am glad to see you.
Waddle, waddle.  Quack quack quack.
Waddle, waddle.  Quack quack quack.
I am a duck.  I am a duck.  I am glad to see you!


It may seem a little outrageous that after nearly thirty years I know this song word-for-word, but my experiences at Wee Melodies truly impacted my life in powerful and lasting ways.  So much of my flair for the dramatic, love for theater, and appreciation for music were fostered there, and I will forever be grateful to those two special teachers who always inspired me to shine!  Thanks, Miss Cheryl and Miss Pat!

Lori (Cwayna) Smith as "the Duck"

_________________________________________________________________

And now for the best part, Miss Collin's daily math question:

If 24 is x percent of 120, what is x percent of 35?

15 comments:

  1. Great post! I was never a duck, but there are many songs from my church camp days that I remember every word and hand motion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it crazy how those things just stick with you after all these years?

      Delete
  2. Hi Mrs. Smith. Loved your post. If th i s counts I was a soloist in Joplin. My first one was in 5th grade

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It totally counts! I bet you're a lovely singer!

      Delete
  3. 7 is x percent of 35. Did you know that tomorrow, March 4, is World Math Day?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shhhhh! Don't tell Miss Collins! And yay! We should celebrate! Let's do math ALL DAY!

      Delete
    2. We have no school today so we can not do math all day :-( can we do it on March 5th if we do not have a snow day.

      Delete
    3. Great idea, Caitlin! Let's try to convince the other teachers! ;)

      Delete
  4. 7 is x percent of 35. Did you know that tomorrow, March 4, is World Math Day?

    ReplyDelete
  5. 7? I really don't know. I plugged something in my calculator and 5 came up, but Mrs. Swaim says 7, so I'm going with 7. That makes more sense in the math sentence. If 24 is 20% of 124, then 7 is 20% of 35. Right? Maybe?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looks like we'll have to do a little review on this one, Miss Collins. Yes, the answer is 7.
      24 is 20% of 120, so 20% of 35 is 7. No worries! You'll get it next time! :)

      Delete
  6. I love your Slice Mrs. Smith. I am a singer to but I do not like to sing in front of people because I am scared to do that. Thank you for sharing that with us. I did not know you were on T.V. before

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh you should! I'm sure you have a beautiful voice! Some day you'll have to let me hear you sing. :)

      Delete