Tuesday, March 24, 2015

7 More Days (Slice #24 - Hercules)

Disney released Hercules in 1997, and soon after, it became one of my very favorite animated movies.  Hercules contained all of the right ingredients – catchy music, a dark and evil villain, gods and goddesses, a lovable sidekick, and a triumphant hero.  Yet, my fondness for the film runs much deeper than all of that. 

For many years, my mentally-handicapped little sister, Heather, would get into movie “kicks.”  She would fixate on one single film and then watch it over and over until either she literally ruined the videotape or we all were driven so nuts that we threatened to hide the movie and begged her to choose anything else!  One such film was Hercules.  The difference with this movie, however, was that not long after it was released, I received my driver’s license and started taking Heather to and from school each day. 

Day after day, month after month, I would ask her as soon as we got into the car what she wanted to listen to, and without hesitation she would reply, “Hercules!”  So, on our daily drive and anywhere else we went, the soundtrack from Hercules blared through my speakers.  It often made me crazy, but we always sang along.  I did silly voices and actions, and she smiled and laughed!

Tonight, we ate dinner a little early and afterwards were tired, but just not quite ready for bed.  From her room, Heather called for me to come “snuggle.”  We browsed Netflix and just so happened to find Hercules.   The second the music began, we fell right back into our parts – dancing, singing, and giggling – and for the next couple of hours, felt just like teenagers again.

Fifteen years ago, I probably would have cringed at the thought of having to listen to that music one more time; but this evening, there was nothing that could have made me happier.  I love Hercules, not for the normal reasons.  I love it because I share it with my sister.


Maybe we will even go for a drive tomorrow…


“A true hero isn’t measured by the size of his strength, but by the strength of his heart.”

-Zeus, from Hercules


3 comments:

  1. I have never seen Hurcules but it sounds like a good movie. Great job once again. How much younger is your sister?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Something small for you:
    http://garemm2130.blogspot.com/2015/03/slice-of-life-march-25th-who-am-i.html

    ReplyDelete