Thursday, March 10, 2016

Slice #10 - In a Year

Each year on this very day, since 1982, I have celebrated my birthday.  Last night before I went to bed, Aaron asked me to describe some of my very favorite moments that occurred in the last calendar year.  This got me thinking… What are some other interesting events that happen in our world each year?  A quick Google search produced some rather fascinating statistics!

According to the Statistic Brain Research Institute (www.statisticbrain.com), in just one calendar year:
  • More than ten people are killed by a vending machine.
  • The IRS processes over 2 billion pieces of paper.
  • An average person consumes nearly 1,500 pounds of food and also blinks about 4.2 million times.
  • Approximately 100 people choke to death on a ballpoint pen and more than 50,000 people are injured by jewelry.
  • The typical family spends just over $600 per student in back-to-school shopping expenses.
  • The average human heart beats 35 millions times.
  • Typically, fewer than five people die from a bear attack. 
  • Fireworks cause over 20,000 fires in the US.
  • Over 94 million Barbie dolls are purchased. 


And these are only a small handful of the amazing (and somewhat bizarre) events that transpire in a mere 365 days!  Who knew?!?  I cannot wait to see what happens in this next trip around the sun!

2 comments: