Tuesday, March 29, 2016

Slice #29 - Happy Thoughts

At the very start of this new year, I decided something in my life had to change.  I was constantly finding myself frustrated at situations outside of my control or saddened by the various challenging events of my life.  I knew if I did not change my focus, these fears, heartaches, and trials would slowly begin to consume my thoughts, and worse, my life. 

So I made a promise to myself – each night before bed, for an entire year, I would write just three positive moments from my day in a journal.  For a self-proclaimed “non-writer,” this was a relatively ambitious endeavor, but I dug up an old journal from the depths of a drawer and started anyway. 

Nearly three months have passed, and I cannot even begin to describe how impactful this seemly insignificant action has been on my life!  Instead of allowing my mind to dwell on the negative experiences of my day, I force myself to center my heart and mind on the good – my “happy thoughts.”

Some days are most certainly easier than others!  For example, during my Disney trip, I could have listed just about any three events that occurred during the day and headed to bed happy!

Other days prove to be more difficult.  Some nights, I just stare at the blank page searching my brain for anything that could qualify as a “happy” moment.  It is on these tougher days, though, that I often find the most beautiful hidden bits of joy.  A little note from a student on the board, an encouraging hug from a friend, a finished project, an extra snuggle from my puppies, or a quiet moment with my husband are all beautiful experiences that might have otherwise been overlooked had I not chosen to seek them out. 

Life is hard. 

And sadly, it is much easier to focus on everything “wrong” than to search for the good, peace, and beauty.   For me, however, I am learning that if I will just look, even the tiniest bit, I can find hope and light in the darkest times and often in the most unexpected places. 



No comments:

Post a Comment