Monday, March 14, 2016

Slice #14 - Cook

Please cook! 

No really, please?!?  Nothing hurts my heart more than hearing the words, “It’s just cheaper to eat out.”

It’s not!

I promise! 

Tonight, Aaron and I enjoyed an absolutely lovely (and healthy) meal of orange and honey glazed salmon; salad with fresh tomatoes, shaved Italian cheese, and a homemade white balsamic vinaigrette; and steamed broccoli all for about $4 each!  Did you read that right?  FOUR DOLLARS EACH!  Can you honestly say you can eat that well at a restaurant for just four dollars?

I know, some naysayers will claim, “This takes planning!”  Nope.  With the salmon and broccoli in the freezer and a quick run to the store on Sunday afternoon, I had everything ready to make this meal in less than thirty minutes.  In truth, I had absolutely no clue what we were even having for dinner when I got home!

“Ok then,” the naysayers will add, “But you know how to cook.”  I didn’t always.  I started simply and easily – making things like spaghetti or grilled chicken.  As I practiced more, it naturally got easier and faster. 

However, at no point ever was it cheaper to eat out than cook at home.  Ever. 

If you compare bite-for-bite, quality-for-quality, cooking at home will always win!

For those new to cooking, just try it.  It might be scary at first, just like all new things are, but at some point you will grow more comfortable in the kitchen.  You will branch out and try new things.  You will eat healthier and better than you ever have before!  And in the process, you will grow closer to those you love.  You will sit around a table and discuss your day, instead of a menu.  You will talk to your family, instead of the server.  You will listen to each other, instead of the crazy people in line or at the table next to you.

Cook!  Please cook! 


You will be so glad you did. 

No comments:

Post a Comment